Friday, June 27, 2008

Reason for lack of new posts

As y'all can probably tell, I haven't been keeping up on the blog lately. Well, I have good reason. Today I came home from the hospital...again. On the bright side, at least I didn't enter through the emergency room this time. Let me tell you how it all started.
About three weeks ago, I started to get diarrhea. At first I was freaking out until my radiologist informed me it was the combination of the radiation and chemotherapy. She told me to buy some Imodium-AD to manage the diarrhea. For one and a half weeks, I dealt with this annoying, but at the time manageable issue.
Then my appetite started to wane. On Friday, I started to vomit back my food. On Saturday, my fiance's brother came over and commented how my activity level had decreased. And it was true...I really didn't feel like eating much.
Sunday I tried to drink more fluids, including Gatorade, which is more hydrating than water, according to the oncology nurses. On Monday I meant to call the oncology department to let them know of the situation, but surprise -- I didn't have the energy to do that either. Meanwhile I was still dry heaving and vomiting up my Carnation Instant Breakfasts.
Finally, my fiance made me call the oncology department at Kaiser South Sacramento. The nurse told me to come on in and they would hydrate me. My fiance picked me up and after I got the energy to leave the house, he drove me to Kaiser.
At the oncology department, after taking my vitals from both standing and sitting down, they hooked me up to a mixture of Dextrose and Sodium Chloride. During that one bag, I was starting to feel better. I even felt like eating...and did eat three package of Keebler crackers. I tell you, those were the best tasting crackers in the world.
The nurses, after talking with my oncologist Dr. Stephen Wang (pronounced Wong), said that they would admit me to a room upstairs. At that point, I really didn't have any options. About 5 p.m., I finally got a room.
Now this visit to the hospital was better than the last time for one reason -- Popsicles. The nurses on the third floor had a plethora of Popsicles available. Grape, orange and cherry was available at my request. It was beautiful and tasty.
I stayed in the hospital for a total of four days. Within those four days, not only did I discover that soup of artichoke is not completely disgusting, but also I had a CT scan. At least with this CT scan, I drank two banana shake contrasts, which is a whole lot better than drinking two jugs full of salty water with some sort of powdery flavoring.
The result of the CT scan is the main tumor in my rectal area had shrunk from the previous chemotherapy/radiation session. Dr. Wang was expecting this. However, more tumors have formed in my liver.
So what is next for me? I was given the option of either staying in the hospital during the weekend and receiving chemotherapy or leaving today and coming back on Monday to start this session. I opted for coming back on Monday so I could have one last weekend of good food.
This next session will last two or three weeks and will be twice as intense as the last session. The only setbacks are fatigue, nausea and continued hair thinning.
Well, I'm going to eat the rest of my dinner, so I will be back with you folks tomorrow. Take care and be good to each other. (That was my bad imitation of Walter Cronkite).

No comments: